INTERVIEW: Adaeze Macphilips on Grief, Growth, and the Stories That Shape Us

INTERVIEW: Adaeze Macphilips on Grief, Growth, and the Stories That Shape Us

By CAVIMAGES Media

***



At just 12 years old, Adaeze Macphilips accomplished what many aspiring writers spend decades dreaming of—she published her first book. Now 18, pursuing a nursing career while working on her second book, she sits down with CAVIMAGES Media to discuss loss, legacy, and the beautiful intersection of healing and storytelling.




On Her First Book and Starting Young


CAVIMAGES: Adaeze, you published "My Father's Legacy" at just 13. What inspired a 12-year-old to write a book, and what did you learn about your father and yourself in the process?


Adaeze: [With a gentle correction and a smile] I wrote my first book at 12 years old, not 13, ma.


What inspired me at that age was deeply personal. First, I wanted to keep my father's memory alive. I wrote pieces like "Remembering My Father" and "Keeping My Father's Legacy." In my own words: "Every Father's Day is a painful reminder of his absence in my life. Dad, I wish I could just turn back time..." Writing became my way of holding onto him.


I also wanted to follow in his footsteps. My dad was a writer, and I inherited that love for books and writing. Publishing became a way of walking the path he once walked.


And then—I wanted to speak about things I saw. Even at 12, my stories tackled real issues: kidnapping, child labour, early marriage, exploitation, and how orphans are treated. I blended folkloric tales with contemporary problems because I believed children could handle truth wrapped in story.


What I learned about my father: I learned to see him as my hero and my pattern. I wrote about his love, his hugs, and the way he showed up for me—those things shaped who I am today. I came to understand that "the true legacy of a father is not written in his Will, but in the conscience of his children." That's a lesson I'm living out.


What I learned about myself: Resilience. The ability to bend without breaking when life gets hard, and then grow from it. Despite the pain of being fatherless, I refused to give up. Writing helped me turn grief into purpose.


I also discovered my voice and wisdom—that I could use stories to teach moral lessons about justice, greed, forgiveness, and kindness.


And identity: I realised I was carrying on my dad's legacy not just by missing him, but by creating.


Today, I walk tall into the future knowing I will soar.


My first book was 36 pages, seven chapters, published by Inspiration Publishers, Lagos, in 2021. It's written in prose with illustrations, and each story carries a moral lesson. I basically turned loss into literature. I wrote to remember my dad, and in doing so, I discovered I had his same gift for storytelling—and that I could use it to impact other kids dealing with hard things.



On Legacy and Remembrance


CAVIMAGES: Your dad was a Vanguard Newspaper Editor, and his remembrance is coming up this month. How has his legacy shaped the woman and writer you are today? What's one lesson of his that you carry into your nursing and writing?


Adaeze: [Taking a moment to compose herself]


My dad's newsroom was my first classroom. From him, I learned discipline, curiosity, and courage. He showed me that a woman can be soft and still be strong, and that a writer can be gentle and still be powerful.


He used to say: "If you are going to tell someone's story, tell it right. And if you are going to care for someone, care like it's your own."


In nursing, that means I treat every patient like they matter—because their story matters. In writing, it means I don't chase headlines. I chase truth and humanity.


That's his legacy living through me.


One lesson I carry: "Do the work well and do it for people."* That's what I carry into the hospital and into my writing.




On Balancing Two Callings


CAVIMAGES: You are pursuing nursing while also writing your second book. How do you balance caring for people's bodies with caring for people's stories? Do you see nursing and writing as connected?


Adaeze: I see nursing and writing as two sides of the same calling: caring for people.


How do I balance them? Same energy, different rooms.


Nursing is hands-on, in the moment. You're reading vitals, pain levels, fear in someone's eyes. Writing is slower. You're reading subtext, memory, and what people don't say out loud.


I try not to let one bleed the other dry. When I'm on shift, I'm fully there for bodies. When I'm writing, I'm fully there for stories. Boundaries keep both honest.


I don't think I could do one well without the other.



On Growth as a Writer


CAVIMAGES: It's been five years since your first book. How has your voice, purpose, and writing style changed from age 12 to 18? Can you give us a sneak peek into what your second book is about?


Adaeze: It's been wild—five years since my first book.


At 12, my voice was big, loud, and curious. I was writing to figure out the world. I wanted to be heard. At 18, my voice got quieter but sharper. I'm writing less to impress and more to connect. My purpose shifted from tell a story to tell the truth in a story.


Stylistically, I used to overwrite everything. Now I cut more. I trust silence, subtext, and letting readers fill in the gaps. The sentences are shorter, but I hope they hit deeper.


Sneak peek: My second book talks about "The Shadow of Envy: Understanding the Green-Eyed Monster." It explores the root of envy, its destructive power, recognising its signs, overcoming it, and building a culture of understanding and support.


My first book was about wonder. This one is about consequence.




On Advice to Young People


CAVIMAGES: A lot of young people feel too young to start something big. What would you tell a 12-year-old reading this who has a story to tell but is scared to begin?


Adaeze: If I could sit with that 12-year-old for five minutes, I would say this:


Start messy. Big stories don't start big. They start with one sentence in a notebook, a voice note on your phone. Nobody writes a book on day one.


Scared is normal. Scared just means you care about it. You don't need the whole world to hear it yet.


Don't throw away drafts. Every writer has terrible first drafts. That's where the good stuff hides.




On What Matters Most


CAVIMAGES: If your dad could read your second book today, what is the one sentence you hope he would say to you?


Adaeze: [Pausing, then speaking softly]


"I see you on every page, and you made me proud."




CAVIMAGES: Thank you for sharing your heart with us, Adaeze. Your story is a testament to the power of turning pain into purpose.


Adaeze: Thank you for having me for this interview, Aunty.



Adaeze Macphilips is a writer, nursing student, and living legacy. Her first book, "My Father's Legacy," is available now. Her second book, "The Shadow of Envy," is forthcoming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inside the High Court Injunction That Halted Ezuruezu Mbaise & Vindicated Ndi Ezeji

Yoruba Political Agenda Imo State pays courtesy visit to APC State Working Committee

Clashes Over Security & Stool: Umuihuocha Eze-Elect Blows Hot Over "Parallel" Vigilante Move