APC House of Assembly Primary: How Agbasuonu Emerged Unopposed as Party Faithfu
APC House of Assembly Primary: How Agbasuonu Emerged Unopposed as Party Faithful Rally in Ezinihite
The All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Imo State House of Assembly seat representing Ezinihite State Constituency witnessed strong participation across the 12 wards of the local government area, with indications emerging that incumbent lawmaker, Hon. Dr. Henry Agbasuonu, emerged unopposed after other contestants reportedly stepped down.
Members of the Federation of Mbaise Media Professionals (FMMP), who monitored the Exercise, divided themselves into teams and visited the 12 wards comprising Amumara, Chokoneze/Akpodim/Ife, Eziudo, Ihitte, Itu, Oboama/Umunama, Okpofe/Ezeagbogu, Onicha I, Onicha II, Onicha III, Onicha IV and Udo-na-Obizi to observe the conduct of the primary election.
At Okpofe/Ezeagbogu Ward 3, the atmosphere reflected party unity as APC faithful gathered at Community Primary School, Okpofe, for the exercise.
Speaking during the process, Engr. Denis Onuoha thanked party members for what he described as their patience, endurance, and loyalty to the party, noting that APC had carefully selected returning officers to supervise the primary election.
According to reports from the ward, the State Returning Officer, Comrade Chibuike Osuagwu, arrived at about noon and observed party members lined up for accreditation and voting.
Observers noted that the exercise appeared to favour Agbasuonu overwhelmingly, as only a single line of supporters was visible and no posters of other aspirants reportedly appeared at the venue—an indication that the lawmaker was effectively running unopposed.
Following the counting process, Agbasuonu’s party agent, Hon. Nwamaghiro Tochukwu, confirmed that the primary election had been concluded successfully at Community Primary School, Okpofe, explaining that other aspirants had stepped down for the incumbent legislator.
Engr. Onuoha, while addressing party faithful after the exercise, commended members for demonstrating party spirit and discipline throughout the process.
“The core aim of political party activities is to win elections and bring development to the grassroots, which APC stands for,” he said before officials departed for the local government headquarters in Itu to submit the ward results.
Party officials later announced a total of 1,305 votes recorded during the exercise.
At the Ezinihite Mbaise local government headquarters in Itu, journalists encountered Agbasuonu alongside the Local Government Chairman, Hon. Nwachukwu Chinedu, amid ongoing collation of results.
When approached and congratulated over reports from wards visited by journalists suggesting he had already emerged winner after being declared unopposed, Agbasuonu responded cautiously, declining to celebrate prematurely.
“Thank you very much, but I don’t know about that. As one of you said, where you visited I was winning, but I know they are still collating. I’m here at the local government headquarters to know what is happening as I’m not part of the exercise. So, I cannot say till I hear the final result,” he stated.
On the number of aspirants in the race, the lawmaker disclosed that about four individuals initially showed interest in contesting, adding that some reportedly stepped down voluntarily.
“They are about four, and some of them resigned voluntarily because of the quality representation I have been giving to my people, for peace, and for the strength of the party to grow. I hear that’s what they said,” Agbasuonu remarked.
He further assured supporters that if eventually returned to the Imo State House of Assembly, he would continue his legislative and developmental efforts.
“But if peradventure I come back, I continue from where I stopped,” he said.
The primary election, monitored across Ezinihite’s wards, appeared largely peaceful, with party stakeholders repeatedly emphasizing unity, internal democracy, and grassroots development as APC prepares for the next electoral cycle.

Comments
Post a Comment